North Metro Photo Club Competition (Salon)Digital Photo Competitions (Salons) are held monthly from September to April with our year end in May. Judging for competition gives members helpful evaluation and commentary on their submitted images. Competition (Salon) judges comment on each image and score the images on a scale from 8 to 15 total points. Accepted images are those that score between 12-15 points and mentioned by name during the monthly meeting and showcased in the online photo galleries each month. These images are then considered for the annual award ceremony in May.
Definitions for the Monthly Topics can be accessed at the link below.
Rules for Submitting ImagesAll images submitted must be the end result of a photograph taken by the maker. All members are assigned a Member Number to be used for submission of competition entries. Each month any member may enter one (1) digital image for the “Topic” competition and two (2) digital images for the “Open” competition. Monthly competition “Topics” are are listed above. For each image submitted, clearly indicate the competition category, “Topic” or “Open,” in which it is to be entered.
To be included in a month’s competition, email images to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6:00pm on the 5th of the month. We STRONGLY suggest submitting images, if possible, 2 or more days before this cutoff. This will allow time to ensure there are no problems with submitted images.
Digital ImagesDigital images should be saved as a jpg in sRGB color space. No logo or copyright is to appear on images.
Naming ImagesMark each digital image with month of competition, year of competition, your Member Number, one space, and the Image Title. For example:
09 -- Month of competition the image is entered.
17 -- Year of competition the image is entered.
### -- Member number assigned by North Metro Camera Club.
_ -- One space between the Member Number and Image Title.
Image Title -- Title. One space after the Member Number and spaces as needed within the Image Title. No space at end.
.jpg -- Be sure file is saved as a JPG.
- Use a zero in front of all single digit months like 09 for September. Use two digits for the year, such as 17 for the year 2017.
- Use one or two zeroes in front of your Member Number to make it three digits (###) in size, such as 0## or 00#.
- The Image Title appearing on images in competition will be exactly the same as that used in the file name. Title all images with a different Image Title.
- Do not use a comma in any part of the file name or Image Title.
- Leave one ".jpg" at the end. Typically this is done automatically when the file is created. If not, be sure it is added.
Judging / Scoring / Awards
JudgingImages submitted monthly will be reviewed by an outside judge from a different camera club, or from the art or professional photo community. There may be times when three club members form a judging panel.
ScoringImages are scored from 8 to 15 points. All images are judged based on Composition, Technique, and Impact
- Composition is the arrangement of all elements within the picture area so the subject matter is presented as a harmonious, well-balanced photograph.
- Technique is the technical aspect of the photo – focus, lighting, color rendition, exposure, print quality, and mounting.
- Impact (or interest) consists of originality, imagination, interpretation, subject, impact, mood, humor, etc.
- “Accepted” images may not be submitted again at North Metro Photo Club competitions in the future; but they may be submitted elsewhere (N4C, PSA, Interclub, etc.)
- Any images scoring below the “Accepted” level may be submitted at future North Metro Photo Club competitions.
Awards“Accepted” images that are included in the “End of the Year” competition are judged for a variety of honors, including in best images in both the topic and open categories. Awards are also presented to members based upon accumulated points earned from their respective “Accepted” images during the course of the North Metro Photo Club competition year.
N4C Digital Competition
Rules for Submitting ImagesMembers are also encouraged to submit to the N4C Digital Competition. Send N4C digital images by 6:00 pm on the 5th of the month to:
- January - May
- September - November